Chief Operating Officer, COO
POSITION TITLE: Chief Operating Officer
DEPARTMENT: Operations & Service Delivery
REPORTS TO: CEO
OBJECTIVE: School Group is looking for a Chief Operating Officer to provide sound technical leadership in all aspects of our organization. The COO will plan, organize, and work to implement strategy and vision, build the School Group culture, and serve as a key member of the senior leadership team.
The COO is a key member of the School Group’s management team and serves as an advisor on decisions that impact the strategic and operational direction of the SG.
- Provides leadership, vision and direction to the strategic planning process, stimulates new ideas, evaluates the financial impact of business opportunities, and monitors professional trends.
- Communicates SG objectives and works with the Managing Partner and Executive Committee to translate objectives into meaningful goals / outcomes for each office.
Financial Management and Oversight
Manages and oversees all financial activities including:
- Establishes and monitors financial operations of the SG
- Oversees internal business policies, work flows and accounting practices and formally documents these processes
- Provides information needed to assist Managing Partner and Executive Committee in decision making
- Leads and supports annual budgeting process and monitors actual performance in comparison to the budget
- Ensures that relevant financial data necessary to manage practice areas and individual client relationships is presented to appropriate members of management
Manages and oversees the human resources function including:
- Assists with the recruitment and hiring for new volunteers
- Oversees the tracking of professional development requirements (CPE)
- New volunteer orientation
- Volunteer retention strategies
- Volunteer termination process (e-mail, computer, voicemail, office access, etc
- Provides executive oversight to the SG’s qualified retirement plan, ensuring that trustee and fiduciary obligations are met.
Policies and Procedures
- Uses operational expertise to evaluate business factors and identifies opportunities to improve internal systems and procedures.
- Proposes new and effective ways of doing business and new service lines
- Develops annual business plans for each department and an operational plan for achieving these goals. Continually monitors progress through review of financials, works with Managing Partner to explain variances, and keeps SG leadership informed of financial concerns.
The COO positions the SG for long-term growth by working with the Managing Partner and Executive Committee to evaluate the financial implications and profitability related to mergers, joint ventures, or divestiture opportunities.
- Supports Business Development efforts of the SG as requested
- Develops a general business model to project the financial viability of each merger opportunity based on information provided from various sources
- Coordinates the technical due diligence phase for each viable merger with the SG management team
- Works with the other members of SG leadership to direct remaining aspects of the opportunity including orientation and merger integration
- Provides mentoring and support for the Leadership Group and Future SG leaders
- Provides direction to business unit leaders through collaborative goal setting, outlining parameters of decision-making and motivating performance-based results
- Conveys an optimistic vision of the future, inspiring support for the SG’s strategic goals, providing timely performance feedback, and promoting an environment that supports ongoing professional growth
The COO is relied upon to propose new and effective ways of doing business to minimize SG risk and improve operational efficiencies and SG financial results.
- Oversees risk management and legal activities, agreements, contracts, leases and other legal documents and agreements
- Business insurance: procurement, monitoring and management
- Information technology – works with the IT personnel to ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure, including hardware, software and telecommunications systems
- Organizational reporting and monitoring – provides guidance and leadership through management of critical operational metrics and developing and maintaining an appropriate measurement reporting process
- Oversees all administrative functions ensuring smooth daily operations of physical plant and equipment as well as smooth daily operations of office procedures (report production, tax return processing, etc.)
- Manages all facility matters related to the office space
- Manages tax and assurance department workflow and file management processes per written procedures
Position Functions: Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, this position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you may be required to perform. The omission of specific descriptions of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or can be considered essential to this position.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this role successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The successful candidate should have:
- Minimum BS / BA degree with at least 10 years of experience and a track record in senior management responsibilities. At least 3 three years in professional services.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach and lead staff, develop high-performance teams and implement organizational strategies
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills
- Analytical and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff the key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals effectively and efficiently
- Past experiences managing human resources function including payroll, benefits, personnel and recruiting
- Unwavering commitment to quality, excellence and data-driven organizational evaluation
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible and innovative in approaches to operational management
- Ability to contribute 15-20 hours per week
Who is School Group?
School Group (SG) is a startup international non-profit developing a cutting-edge global e-learning platform that will allow students around the world to connect for peer-to-peer collaborative learning and skills development — improving the accessibility and quality of education, while transforming lives and impacting future success. We need talented people to help us make our vision a reality. So, if you believe in the power of education, international development and community service — and have the time, skills and know-how to match — we want you as a School Group volunteer.
Why Volunteer With Us?
We are a community of people from different parts of the world who share a common belief in improving education which will eventually reduce poverty and improve the quality of life and living conditions globally. Volunteering with us will enable you to build your resume and gain invaluable experience in a supportive environment.
- In the USA, School Group is a Certifying Organization, offering the President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) to eligible volunteers.
- School Group will provide a letter of recommendation to all volunteers who are able to showcase outstanding performance for professional references.
This is a volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation. Our organization is 100% volunteer run. We welcome volunteers located anywhere in the world, as long as they can connect reliably to the internet.
To apply for this job please visit project.schoolgroup.org.